Saturday, April 17, 2010

Have You Ever Given a Cat an Order?


The differences between cats and dogs? You've heard a bunch of them! If you're very observant you can tell one of the major differences when you try to give a cat an order.

Most of the time, the cat will stare at the ceiling and wander off.

That's what I've discovered among most of my computer class students. They're like cats! Give them an assignment or tell them to write something down--they stare at the ceiling and mentally wander off.

My favorite lately is a young man who got his mother to come along and take notes for him in my latest Web Design Class. I stopped the presentation and asked him if he planned to take any notes at all?

"Nope! That's what I brought my mother for." he smiled a big goofy grin. When I probed a little more deeply about what his post high school plans were--he said he was on a waiting list to get into nursing school.

"Are you planning on taking your mother along with you to empty bed pans and make sure you have fresh scrubs every day?" I teased. He got the message and I got another goofy grin! I asked him what might happen if she lost the notes or accidentally handed them in to me on the back of the class worksheet! Another goofy grin and a shrug. Turns out that's exactly what she did--turned in the notes on the back of the worksheet! By then he had taken a few scribbles. I asked to see them. Immediately he complained that his note taking skills where terrible and his writing was worse.

"You know, friend," I said. "I honestly don't care." I know that taking notes is one of the best ways to retain the new information I'm sharing. Come back, next time, ready to work!

Admittedly I don't have the power of a "grade" We're not even pass fail! Continuing Education is all about acquiring new skills. I have a sneaking suspicion that for some, I am a substitute for television--or fresh jokes for the evening--or a new friend for a lonely student.

I'm learning the byways of a Continuing Ed Class. Oh, I plan to still be giving assignments and urging folks to write this down and that.....

Sad that in the Resume writing assignment for the 17 people in our Microsoft Office Class All but one of the five people who have completed their assignment on time are already employed. (More than half are unemployed) What more can I do? JRH

No comments:

Post a Comment