Thursday, March 11, 2010

I took a Little Child's Hand in Mine


Here's some insight into your Gramparenting process. I'd credit it to the author if I knew his/her name. Over the years these three little paragraphs have inspired me in many teaching situations.

See if this changes your perspective.

By the way, my late friend Ron Mears taught me that rather than confronting a sales situtation head on, better salesmen take a walk with the client; they take a tour together like the Grampa and child in these three parables. Selling points come easily and casually, often following a phrase like, "By the way--------". You'll see a good example of this technique in the third parable below. Gramparenting, teaching and sales have much in common.

THREE PARABLES

"I took a little child's hand in mine. I was to lead him to the Father. I told him about the Father's fury should the child displease him. In the rainstorm that came over the mountain as we walked I explained that the Father sent the rain-- and the thunder bolts. We hurried under a tree. I told him how the Father could bring it crashing down. Then, in the twilight, we met the Father. The child hid behind me. He was so scared. I had come between the child and the Father. Had I been too stern?

"I took a little child's hand in mine. I was to lead him to the Father. We didn't amble. We hurried. I quickly pointed out the Father's singing brook, His waving tall grass. I quoted the Father often and rapidly out of the Father's holy book. Then in the twilight we met the Father. The child wandered off to find something else. Once again I had come between the child and the Father. Had I shared too many things?

"I took a little child's hand in mine. I was to lead him to the Father. We started out together and stopped often. When he saw some of the Father's flowers, we stroked their soft pedals and admired their bright colors. Once we sat under one of the Father's tall trees. We didn't speak. We closed our eyes and let the Father's gentle breeze blow across us. Then, in the twilight we met the Father. The child's eyes shone. He ran into the Father's outstretched arms. I was for the moment forgotten. I was content."

If this inspires some feedback, please comment below. I'm as anxious for your reaction as I build more posts for our insight exchange. Let me know if this helps as you practice your Gramparenting skills every day. JRH

1 comment:

  1. I love this allegory. The author's name is Jean Betzner.

    ReplyDelete