Emptying the trash helps the wife. The story, on a regular basis, gives some special closeness with the kids.
A husband, or grampa who "helps" is strangely rare.
Here's a great article and link to 20 more ideas that will help Grampas everywhere to do a few quick chores and put a smile on Gramma's face. Daughters and Daughters in law will love it, too!
30 Thirty-Second Chores
30 Things To Do In Half a Minute
By Sarah Aguirre, About.com Guide
1. Empty the trash in the bathroom. The small trash cans in our homes can sometimes be overlooked until they are overflowing. Make this chore easier and more quickly accomplished by storing extra liners in the bottom of the trash can. It will only take a moment to wrap up the used liner and open up the new one.
2. Dust the TV screen. The television screen seems to always need a good dusting. Try a used dryer sheet to help keep dust from resettling.
3. Change the vacuum cleaner bag or empty the dirt bin. Whether your vacuum cleaner is a bagless or bagged a vacuum full of dirt puts more wear and tear on your machine. Take a moment and double check your bag or bin.
4. Clean a mirror. Try using vinegar and newspaper to clean your mirror. The vinegar will help the mirror dry streak free. Newspaper will leave less fuzzy residue than paper towels.
5. Wipe down an appliance. Take a moment and wipe down the outside of your dishwasher, refrigerator, oven, washing machine, or dryer. Don't forget about the outward appearance of the machines you depend on. Wipe up spots and spills quickly, and your appliances will only need an occasional thorough wipe down.
6. Change the towels in a bathroom or in the kitchen. Prevent cross-contamination of germs and bacteria by frequently changing hand towels and kitchen towels.
7. Test your smoke alarm. Smoke alarms should be tested monthly and batteries should be replaced at least annually. Try testing the battery on the same day of the month to help you remember. Similarly you might replace the batteries yearly on a memorable date. Many people replace batteries when they change their clocks for Daylight Savings Time.
8. Dust air vents. The vents and wall around the vents attracts dust. Take a few moments to wipe down the vents in a room or two.
9. Change the battery in a clock. It may seem like a little thing, until you need to know the time.
10. Sprinkle baking soda into your trash can. Occasionally sprinkling baking soda in your garbage will help prevent trash odors from overtaking your home.